Keep in mind I have never painted fabric like this before and so I didn't really know what to expect but I have to say they turned out pretty cool...not quite perfect but hey its my first time!
I started out by throwing the covers in the washing machine to freshen them up. Once they were dry I laid them out on the table and placed a magazine inside so the paint wouldn't bleed through. I followed the stitched pattern already on the pillows but if you have plain covers you can freehand or use a stencil.
I used Folk Art Acrylic pain in Pure Black which I had picked up at Walmart a while ago for I believe $2.66.
It took me about an hour to do one cover. I let it dry overnight before stuffing the pillow back in and when I did this was the result....
(click to enlarge)
Now my pillows are fun & chic and didn't cost me a dime since I had all the materials!